The mission of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is to develop professional engineers with strong technical expertise rooted in a liberal arts tradition, by nurturing a high quality learning and research environment.
Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Program are to:
1. Develop well-rounded alumni whose technical and intellectual competency, versatility, and ethical foundations qualify them for immediate employment or advanced studies within the traditional mechanical engineering discipline as well as other fields of interest (e.g., other engineering disciplines, law, medicine, financial).
2. Develop well-rounded alumni with an understanding of the professional mechanical engineering practice.
3. Develop well-rounded alumni who are productive team members and leaders, solving problems within a modern global, environmental and ethical framework.
4. Develop well-rounded alumni who are contributors to professional and educational institutions in their communities, applying their knowledge and skill towards the advancement of technology and the betterment of society.
5. Develop well-rounded alumni who are actively engaged in life-long learning and can adapt to an evolving global community.