Welcome to Mechanical Engineering!
Mechanical engineers serve humanity! We contribute immensely throughout the world to protecting the environment, increasing quality of life, and contributing to overall economic development. Broadly speaking, mechanical engineers deal with things that move and use energy (i.e., almost everything!). In fact, there is not a day that goes by that you don’t use hundreds of things that mechanical engineers have brought to life.
Some examples of things that we design and build are: cars, artificial hearts, artificial limbs, airplanes, power plants, ink pens, robots, pollution control systems, environmental remediation systems, children’s toys, motors, engines, and air conditioning and refrigeration systems. This list could go on and on. In short, do you love to tinker, like to help people, worry about the global environment, or like to take things apart just to see how they work? Then mechanical engineering is for you!
Why Study Mechanical Engineering at CUA?
There are many reasons to pursue your studies in mechanical engineering at CUA, including:
We are a small, intimate, mechanical engineering program situated within a Catholic university with a strong liberal arts tradition.
- We maintain a full-time faculty who are dedicated to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education and are at the forefront of engineering research.
- We maintain a part-time and adjunct faculty who are actively engaged in their professions and bring practical experience into the classroom.
- We offer small class sizes with a low student-to-faculty ratio.
- We offer an intimate setting where students get to know the faculty and one another - many students become life-long friends.
- We offer a young, energetic faculty dedicated to mentoring and advising students.
- We offer a faculty who are always available to help with homework, share their experiences, or just to chit-chat.
- We offer state-of-the-art computing and laboratory facilities devoted to undergraduate students.
- We offer ample opportunities for students to master programming languages and software skills.
- We assist in obtaining paid internships.
- Most of our students are involved in extracurricular activities - everything from student government to athletics to campus ministry.